Nov 222011


last night promised to be been clear, I decided to give Jupiter another imaging run and put the C11 outside in the evening with the two fans on full throttle. Seeing looked a bit disappointing during collimation since diffraction rings smeared across a fairly large area but I guess I have to learn that the Pickering-scale has been defined using a 5″ telescope and the mileage varies using 11″ aperture – things can look worse than they are.
After connecting the Basler Ace to the laptop I did not get any connection, swapping cables and switching the user did not help. I got a bit nervous and rebooted the machine – voila!
The camera image was quite stable even through the green filter using a 2x barlow and I perfomed several G-R-B-IR runs. Around 22:30 Io started to transit Jupiter’s disk. Io’s brightness in IR was quite evident. Unfortunately the seeing went worse during the transit and I decided to end the session, probably partly induced by Jupiter standing over my roof now. Ok, the harddrive was full anyway and my hands¬† started to feel cold…

Here a quick and dirty red channel result of a randomly picked AVI, the real processing is to begin soon…

Cheers, Oliver


Nov 152011

Hi all,

hey, I made it to image Jupiter again after six years :)
I used my new Basler Ace 640-100GM for the first time and am quite satisfied with the Sony ICX618ALA equipped dwarf camera. Seeing has been significantly below average, transparency very bad due to haze and fog illuminated by the near moon. Nevertheless I could use the Ace at 9.8ms exposure time for red and green channels with the C11 at f20 – quite impressive.

Jupiter 20111109 RRGB
RRGB version, click image for full version with channels

I was unsure which capture software to use with the Ace. the second one tried in the field that night has been Torsten Edelmann’s Firecapture and it worked like a charm on my U7300 powered W7 64Bit subnotebook operating at 1.3GHz only. I replaced the hard-drive with a Hitachi 7200upm version and could capture 102FPS without any issues at full frame size of 659×494 pixels, great to image the quickly rotating Jupiter. I’ll use a tad less gain for future imaging runs. So far the Ace has not produced any artefacts running at high frame rates, excellent!

Stay tuned for more captures, I hope to have some decent seeing to bring the imaging rig closer to it’s limits.

Cheers, Oliver